-
November 8th, 2003, 03:29 PM
#11
Inactive Member
OK they are here the NEW (not older) digital amps:
Inexpensive yet excellent amps which hardcore Audiophiles are buying and getting rid of their expensive heavy tube/ss/fet etc amps!!!
Check on the Carver Pro ZR line of amps all less than $1K which beat $5K or more audiphile stuff. Check out the Audiocircle or Audio Asylum Hi Rez web site for audiophile's commenting on these.
Check out Sony AVD digital receivers which have DVD, SACD, CD, AM/FM, DTS, 5 channels of excellent sounding digital amps with remote control (for less than $500)
Their very expensive equal counterparts are also available from fancy name brands if you are also interested.
The analogy I guess is that the new digital amps will be like quarts watches compared to mechanical watches = analog amplification. Who uses mechanical watches anymore??
Time will tell...it may not take long!!
-
November 8th, 2003, 05:04 PM
#12
Inactive Member
Jim:
Yes seems we are heading into digital DIY stuff with these new chips/modules. Output power is primarily determined by VA of power transformer. The outputs are usually Mosfets but can even be tubes!! AC voltage variations and bass response the nemesis of older digital stuff seems not to be a significant factor with these. Seems all positive...90%+ efficiency and excellent sound. Finally inexpensive amps that perform like a wire with gain.
-
November 9th, 2003, 04:02 AM
#13
Inactive Member
Roland,
Have you seen this company's products yet. Looks perfect for a multitude of applications. Check their web site.
http://www.d2audio.com/main.php?hasflash=ok
-
November 15th, 2004, 05:42 PM
#14
Inactive Member
For $300 or $400 we can run out and get our Panasonic Digital HT Receivers
-
November 15th, 2004, 06:09 PM
#15
Inactive Member
In my town they are only available at Radio Shack.
-
November 15th, 2004, 11:33 PM
#16
Inactive Member
As a prosound user that is still lugging around a few racks of 9440, 9442, 9444, and 9446 amps, I will be getting some of the newer high-power stuff as soon as funds allow. I can't wait to haul in 20000 watts of power for under 100 pounds, and not need 50amp 220 taps to run them!
I don't think the Altec speakers will mind what type of amp is driving them. As long as the distortion is low and there is no clipping, I am sure they will sound as good as ever...maybe better since I won't have to drive the amps on the edge of clipping constantly!
90% efficient, that's incredible! And for my uses, the critical ear isn't a problem. Then I will have to find something to do with these huge, heavy amps, but don't know if I have the heart to get rid of them...
-
November 15th, 2004, 11:59 PM
#17
Inactive Member
ok, in doing a little more research, I guess I won't be getting any truly digital amps soon, but i will be getting some with digital power supplies driving transistors, they are still way lighter and put out a lot more power per rack space.
-
November 17th, 2004, 01:56 AM
#18
Inactive Member
I have heard and used the BSS FDS-388, had it for under a year and got rid of it! Auditioned the BSS FDS-366 Compact T Plus, and still, even with its 24/96 audio path, didnt sonically outdo my analog crossovers!
To my ears the best DSP processing I have heard to daye is XTA, but, still I will stay analog!
Another is being recommended to me as the best sounding DSP processor yet, the DEQX PDC-2.6. Supposed to be that good, Im in correspondence with them, and will find out if its what they claim!
As for amps, well, if your moving around, and weight and current draw are issues, then yes, there are lightweight amps that will work! BUT, and Im dead serious, if you aint moving it around, or your listening at home with fantastic speakers, traditional amps with traditional Class AB, or better yet, Class A outputs, or Tubes still sound the best! If it dont weigh enough, it dont play enough!
Some of the switching designs make alot of power, but youll be wondering where yopur bass went!
Digital technologies are improving, but Im waiting till its really there, all the way there, until then, Im analog!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks